Main Street Artists Gallery & Studio - Fine artists working, inspiring and supporting one another
My Blog

Pressing Matters

Pressing matters

Watercolor, my preferred medium, likes to be free.
            And so, I’m always looking for new ways to loosen up, stay fresh and become more intuitive in my painting, Recently, I’ve been playing around with a technique I discovered in a terrific book, Experimental Landscapes in Watercolour by British artist and author Ann Blockley (http://annblockley.com/).
            The basic technique is quite simple: Find some interesting leaves, twigs or other plant material. Place a piece of watercolor paper on a bed of paper towels. Spread some rich, juicy paint on the paper (all over, or just in particular areas). Press the plant material into the wet paint. Top with a sheet of plastic wrap or wax paper (crinkled up, if you like). Top with a piece of Plexiglas. Put something on top – like heavy books – to press it down. Wait for a few hours (the paper doesn’t have to be completely dry).
            When you lift everything off, the paper will hold some interesting textures and impressions. It’s really impossible to predict – or control – exactly what you’ll get. I love that!
            After the paint has dried completely, you decide how to proceed. This is where you put your imagination to work. What do you see? Where can this go? You could draw and paint a composition, or complete the painting freehand, finding shapes as you go. It could move in a completely abstract direction, or you could find a landscape, a still life, maybe even a portrait. I don’t want to try to be too literal, though. I love the fantastical, impressionistic feeling this method offers.
            As for what to use, here’s a tip: Sturdy, waxy leaves work really well. Small twigs, stems and seeds are good. In the accompanying paintings, you’ll see ferns, which are wonderful. The foreground leaves in In the Pink are sweet woodruff, (my favorite ground cover). The background textures in all three paintings comes from crinkled wax paper and plastic wrap. You can also try cheesecloth, net, gauze, lace, etc.
            Now, when I’m out in the garden or off on a hike, I’m looking for textures and shapes that I can try in a painting.
            I’m seeing the world in new and wonderful ways. And that is the great gift that art brings to us all, always.
– Kathy Lindsley

13 Comments to Pressing Matters:

Comments RSS
Good Manufacturing Practice on Monday, April 30, 2018 1:28 AM
Pharmaceutical quality influences each American. FDA controls the nature of pharmaceuticals painstakingly.

essaymama reviews on Friday, August 17, 2018 6:43 AM
Art is really something that captivates us. It has the power to make us have peace in mind. Art enables us to express our feelings and thoughts through painting, drawing, and other forms of art. We have the freedom to paint what is on our mind. As an artist, art has been part of my life since then, it is my passion and I love to paint about nature because I am so fascinated by its beauty. And it is so overwhelming that there are still people appreciates the meaning of art.

concept on Monday, April 30, 2018 7:14 AM
The process to create an account in AOL and to login in AOL is quite simple. This is a very formal login process where one have to enter the details like your email ID and then you get the access of all the products of AOL and then you have to create a strong password to protect it

Baso Blood Test on Thursday, May 03, 2018 5:35 AM
You have had your horse's blood tested & may be curious as to what it all means.

Pharmaceutical Machinery on Friday, May 04, 2018 12:19 AM
The pharmaceutical business has the most exact necessities and assembling rules as far as quality. Accordingly, it is important that pharmaceutical assembling hardware consent to great assembling practice

myloweslife on Saturday, May 05, 2018 3:55 AM
The Specific Identification number or we can say credentials will help you to login to the portal to access various sections which are available for each and every employee. The employee portal management system by Myloweslife is quite useful for everyone who is engaged with this system.

eaadhar on Tuesday, May 15, 2018 6:34 AM
All Indian People who have Applied for Aadhar Card, can Check their Adhar Card Status, Update Aadhar Card, and Download the Adhar card.

bestessays uk on Wednesday, May 23, 2018 1:34 AM
Such a wonderful paint that you provided. It was so amazing paint that I haven't ever seen even before. My cousin taught me how to draw or to paint but my paint doesn't like as my cousin did, I cannot draw as good as what she drew, she was good enough in painting as the area of this expertise. I commend the author for sharing this blog which is informative and useful as well.

Dolph on Monday, June 18, 2018 4:52 AM
Wow

assignment writing help australia on Monday, June 25, 2018 1:50 PM
Watercolours are my favourite too. They give such a realistic touch to your paintings. I really loved your work. The little detailing and colours you've used makes the painting look so beautiful

eqwe on Thursday, June 28, 2018 4:19 AM
qwe

pay for essay on Thursday, August 02, 2018 2:51 AM
Water color are using for the painting and then to keep the painting fabric dry by the sun heat and rays to lay the fabric on the roof. Relaxing of the painting is when buyers stand in the line to get that so mean all struggles was not absurd.

Saami on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 1:51 AM
TweakBox works like your native tweakboxapkk application downloader. Most of the Android users install their much-needed apps and games from the tweakboxapk default Google Play Store application