Main Street Artists Gallery & Studio - Fine artists working, inspiring and supporting one another
My Blog

A frog house, and frog paintings, serious and whimsical

A frog house, and frog paintings, serious and whimsical

Image No. 1 shown here is the final version of a still life that was started in a class. Rochester Art Club show entry rules prohibit class paintings, so I did the scene again (Image No. 2) with the sea and clouds as background.
A young man in Jamaica who calls me regularly often tends to be sad and frustrated because he is brilliant, has Asperger’s syndrome, and is very much underemployed. I sent him the photo of the second painting and he wrote back “I see serenity, that painting inspires comfort.”
Of course, I was happy that the painting fulfilled its intention. Still, I wanted to finish the first version.
The background originally was all black. First I changed this into a stone wall with an arch, then turned that into a Venetian bridge with a canal and boats and the frogs in the dish floating downstream, then tried them in a tornado, and finally, about 11 p.m., I decided to place the face of the painting on my wet palate. The result wasn’t too bad, so I turned it 180 degrees and did it again. With a few more blobs, by 11:30 p.m. it had evolved into Painting No. 1 that you see here and I was done!
There is no end of subjects for an artist to paint. Even limiting oneself to frogs, there are infinite possibilities. My NIA dance teacher and friend Jane Pagano took a photo of frog on her window (Image No. 3), and  I decided to make one realistic (Image No. 4) and one free-association (Image No. 5) painting from her image. Both are 6 x 6 inches.
Somehow, I find it especially fun to paint from photos that friends have taken and given to me. A friend gave me a picture of a green pumpkin frog, and it seemed seasonal to combine that image with our new Pittsford canal-side Frog House for our opening on Oc 21.
If you missed it, A Frog House (www.facebook.com/A-Frog-House-244426619570950/?ref=br_rsat 65 State Street in Pittsford Village (third house on the left after the bridge walking east on the Towpath from Schoen Place) is open every Sunday from noon to 5 p.m. through Dec. 23. You are invited to visit, where you can donate cash in exchange for my children’s picture book, Froggy Family’s First Frolic, froggy art work, and frogabilia. All donations go toward helping endangered and threatened frogs through education, including designing and publishing my second book, Froggy Family’s Fine Feelings, and visits to school classrooms, scout troops, and other children’s groups.   Or, please help directly with a cash donation to GoFundMe Froggy Family Fabulous Foundation (www.gofundme.com/froggy-family039s-fabulous-foundation?member=935486)where we already have reached 70 percent of our current goal.
~ Margot Fass

16 Comments to A frog house, and frog paintings, serious and whimsical:

Comments RSS
Demetrius Cabrera on Saturday, November 03, 2018 8:52 AM
Regular job.

type essay online on Saturday, November 10, 2018 5:09 AM
History instruction is additionally one of the crucial parts of training in present period as it controls the understudies well about the past open. When we get some information about the past they don't disclose to us numerous things however books of history reveal to us intriguing and helpful things.

top resume writing services on Friday, November 30, 2018 9:25 PM
Looks like you really love frogs. They are kinda cute. And these paintings are cute too!

Jack on Tuesday, December 04, 2018 6:51 AM
I am very happy to visit here in the blog. Some people fellow us in the all color of paints. I am appreciate in the work. rubber matting

Robert harry on Wednesday, December 05, 2018 2:13 AM
I also enjoy reading the comments, but notice that a lot of people should stay on topic to try and add value to the original blog post. rubber mats for entrance ways

Dwayne on Wednesday, December 05, 2018 2:44 AM
Fantastic post about a frog house and frog paintings.I am thinking to bookmarked this to visit again here. Thanks for it. Purchase rubber matting easy to maintain

orologi repliche on Monday, December 31, 2018 7:37 AM
If you are even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an e-mail.link

advancedwriters.com review on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 2:18 AM
Art is comfort zone for some. I guess it produces both good and bad outcome. As you can see, children enjoys art because it is their way to enjoy, but when you grow, you will find art as sponge. It is sponge for me because it allows you to feel and do what you are feeling of a certain time. In fact, it is some ways to release the stress or happy thought you have. Once it is appreciated by some, it was really a good impact to the artist.

boom essay on Sunday, March 10, 2019 6:38 AM
Think about yourself when you’re watching videos you’ve come across on social media during your downtime. Would you watch a video longer than 5 minutes? What about 3 minutes? Many people wouldn’t watch a video past 1 minute unless they are truly interested in the information.

repliche breitling orologi on Saturday, March 30, 2019 2:05 PM
The clarity in your put up is just excellent and that i can think you are knowledgeable on this subject.Thank you a million and please carry on the enjoyable work.4 part carbonless forms hard copy

replica bell and ross watches on Monday, April 01, 2019 8:35 AM
I really love to visit your posts.

Alex on Thursday, April 25, 2019 7:10 AM
Very well written article about frog house paintings, you have used simple words which makes it easy to understand. Garage Shelving

Faux on Sunday, April 28, 2019 7:32 AM
Great to read article about eBay keys, i was searching for such article for day.I feel lucky to find this website. bible stories for kids

gironela on Sunday, April 28, 2019 11:10 AM
I’m Really Impressed With Your Article, Such Great & Usefull Knowledge You Mentioned Here invisalign aligners solutions

Brown on Sunday, April 28, 2019 4:09 PM
Thanks for your nice articles. I like it very much. new houses in milton

instagram viewer on Saturday, May 18, 2019 12:39 AM
Frog is always cute in drawing.