Main Street Artists Gallery & Studio - Fine artists working, inspiring and supporting one another
My Blog

The Wonders of Pastel

The Wonders of Pastel
Suzi Zefting-Kuhn

Do you know what pastels are?  They are basically pigment combined with filler and a binder.  The amount of filler used controls the hue (the color and shade of that color). Pastels have been in existence since the 15century and the word ‘pastel’ was first used in 1662.  In the early 1700’s Parisian’s would commission portraits of themselves in pastel.  The invention of cast plate glass made it possible for larger pastels to be created and protected from the environment. Pastels were praised because of their lifelike quality and the way the medium reflects light due to the absence of varnish.

The medium was held in high regard. The number of pastel makers, fewer sittings required by the subject, no drying time, less equipment and lower costs helped to give the medium notoriety.   Pastels lost their appeal later in the 1700’s and early to mid 1800’s and were typically used as studies at that time but then regained appeal in the late 1800’s.

Contemporary pastelists are working hard to prove to collectors that the pastel medium is just as valuable and archival as oil paint.

Personally I love to use pastel when painting animals. I find I can create the look of fur more effortlessly. I work on sanded paper called UArt. The UArt is manufactured with a number of different grits but my favorite is 400 grit. It is just coarse enough to hold many layers of pastel.  My pastels of choice are mostly Girault and Terry Ludwigs with Caran d’ache pastel pencils.  I work from photo reference of images I take myself when visiting zoos or other places like animal sanctuaries.

Yes, pastels are messy. Latex or vinyl gloves help. If you don’t like wearing gloves while working you can use a barrier cream like Gloves in a Bottle, prior to working. Creating a tray made of aluminum foil under your support helps collect stray pastel dust that may fall while you are working.

To spray fix your work is your decision. I personally do not spray fix mine as it tends to darken and dull the pastel. Instead I tap my work over a trashcan to get rid of any loose pastel particles sitting on the surface of the piece. Be sure your framer uses spacers to keep the glass away from the surface of your work.

I know, framed properly and handled with care my pastel paintings will survive a very long time. I also know that they are just as valuable as oil paintings.

Sunbather

Contact artist at suzi@suzizefting-kuhn.com

8 Comments to The Wonders of Pastel:

Comments RSS
Customize t-shirts on Wednesday, May 29, 2019 2:47 PM
Reply to comment

India Live Stream on Thursday, May 30, 2019 2:18 PM
Every day, we create the best custom silk screen prints possible for our customers. Add your design, photos, logo, or artwork. You can even add your own custom text, numbers & quotes. Watch Live Cricket Streaming online & stay updated with fastest live cricket scores on Hotstar. Get live coverage, match highlights, match replays, popular cricket video clips and much more on ... Follow the Blues: Analysing India Squad. India vs Pakistan Live Stream India vs England Live Stream India vs Australia Live Stream India vs South Africa Live Stream India vs New Zealand Live Stream India vs Bangladesh Live Stream India vs Windies Live Stream
Reply to comment

Anonymous on Wednesday, June 12, 2019 9:36 PM
Reply to comment

https://techthatmatter.com/tiktok-mod-apk/ on Monday, June 17, 2019 3:20 AM
https://techthatmatter.com/tiktok-mod-apk/ Download tiktok mod apk V9.9.5 for Android with adfree ui, unlimited followers, fans, hearts and go viral on the musically using this hack apk.!
Reply to comment

my best dissertation on Friday, June 21, 2019 11:15 PM
Well, I can really see how much good you are in using pastel in painting by just looking at the samples that you have shared above. I am sure that it will be hard for me to choose the most amazing painting because I do believe that all of them are beautiful. I wish I also had the same talent that you have because you see, I have always been dreaming to become a good painter someday. However, I am not sure what I need to do to make this happen or if I will be able to make it even possible. But I won't give up on this dream that I have and will make sure to do all the best that I can to make it possible.
Reply to comment

Jimmi on Saturday, June 22, 2019 3:47 AM
You have posted very nice images of animals which i like it a lot.I have read the article it is very well written and easy to understand. You can buy hair extensions boxes
Reply to comment

paper writing service on Friday, July 05, 2019 8:06 AM
Allessaywriter.com is the best online paper writing service that you can choose to write your paper. If you are in a dilemma about how to choose the topic and go ahead with the research, you can easily rely on us. Our paper writing service has the best experts from the market who are also professional in these fields.
Reply to comment

SEO KHAN on Friday, July 12, 2019 4:13 PM
Rugby fans all over the world are always at fever pitch once the cup draws close, this years cup is drawing more attention then usual. The cup is being held in Asia for the first time, and the world cup will feature a new logo based on the current rugby world cup logo instead of the traditional cup rugby logo. Rugby World Cup 2019 Live Streaming
Reply to comment